Dark Under Eye Circles
Dark eye circles make one look tired (as if you did not get enough sleep) and older regardless of the age or how well you may actually feel. Sometimes accompanied by eye bags due to weakened support of eye tissues and muscles, these under eye shadows can be difficult to get rid of.
They are caused by a combination of factors:
- Vascular congestion
- Pigment, resulting partly from broken capillaries caused by vascular congestion and weakness of capillary walls
- Thinning of the skin, making the congested capillaries more visible
- Volume loss caused by aging, with hollowing of the areas under the eyes (tear troughs)
Can something be done to improve this appearance?
You bet there is! Each of the factors listed above can be addressed:
- There are effective skin care products which will deal with the broken capillaries. Skin brightening compounds will also help reduce this pigmentation. These products should be used under medical direction as improper use may cause skin irritation in this sensitive area
- Lasers can also be used to deal with both pigment changes and congested capillaries
- Soft tissue fillers can be used to provide support and restore youthful fullness, reducing or eliminating the sunken and hollow areas