SKIN CARE TIPS
from Dr. Paul Pinkhasik:
5 Tips to Prevent Varicose Veins
Follow these 5 simple tips to prevent varicose veins:
1. Keep moving: exercise, walk, fidget, stretch (avoid sitting or
standing motionless all day). Leg muscles help propel venous blood back to your heart, decreasing blood pooling in your leg veins. For every 60 minutes you sit, take a five-minute walking break.
2. Don’t overheat your legs. Excessive heat can dilate blood vessels, encouraging blood to pool in legs, thus favoring varicose vein formation.
3. Reduce body fat. Excess fat increases resistance to venous blood returning to the heart, thus increasing volume of blood pooled in your legs. This favors varicose vein formation.
4. Elevate your legs. Regardless of whether you have varicose veins or not, when reading or watching television. This will help to prevent blood from pooling in your lower legs.
5. Wear compression stockings, especially when you expect to be on your feet for long periods, or during long flights. Compression stockings squeeze excess blood out of your leg veins, improving function of vein valves and facilitating return of venous blood to your heart